Food for Orthodontic Thought
- ICE: A thousand times NO. It will destroy your braces.
- PIZZA CRUST: The hard crust bends wires.
- HARD PRETZELS: Bend wires, loosen bands, and knock off brackets.
- CHIPS and the like will form a hard ball and break your braces.
- CARAMEL CANDY, GUM OF ANY TYPE, STICKY CHEW CANDY: Sticky goo pulls off wires and feeds the bacteria in your mouth.
- HARD ROLLS, BAGELS: Both bend the wires and knock off brackets.
- BEEF JERKY, SLIM JIMS: Tough as nails
- SUCKERS: You might weaken and bite.
- NUTS: No nut of any kind
- PENS and PENCILS: Favorite exam food breaks everything.
- POPCORN: The little shells get between the gum and band and hurt like crazy.
- RAW CARROTS or HARD VEGETABLES: Hard as rocks; make sure you shred, slice, or dice.
- GATORADE, POWERADE, SPORTS DRINKS, SODAS: Too much sugar
Bent wires and broke or detached brackets will force you to experience a longer treatment time.